Saturday, September 13, 2008

Clark Watson writes...


Clark Watson, Senior Computer Scientist, Computer Science Corporation .

Clark Watson
He is also a lead vocalist and artist of a music band

His views on Palmetto Heat.

Sumran's "Palmetto Heat" is a wonderful continuation of a young Sikh's first time experiences in America...... yet so much more. It is a linear tale told with occasional flashbacks to further accentuate the absorbing tale. As I read "Palmetto Heat", I almost felt a bit guilty. There are such honest, heartfelt revelations, it was like stumbling across the diary of some misunderstood artist. The author has a brave uncompromising ability to open his heart and paint a genuine picture with his words. Something lacking in many of the contrived productions I read or see on film today.
There are so many different layers to this story - An enticing autobiography; A journal recounting the exploration of America; Poetic verses of worldly observations. But, for me, underneath it all, there is an underlying theme, whether intentional or not, of loneliness and a genuine desire to find love. The desperate chances. The heart wrenching rejection. The excitement of possibilities. I could almost hear the immortal words from Freddie Mercury's song, "Somebody to Love" on each page:

I work hard every day of my life
I work till I ache my bones
At the end I take home my hard earned pay all on my own -
I get down on my knees
And I start to pray
Till the tears run down from my eyes
Lord - somebody - somebody
Can anybody find me - somebody to love?

Being from America, I was afraid the India and Sikh cultural references might be lost on me, but the elements were brought into the story as needed and actually served as compelling additions which in no way alienated me from the beautifully crafted drama. It was touching to witness the wide eyed exuberance of an international visitor experiencing America in a way that I have long taken for granted. Sumran's narrative quality is elegantly poetic - "There was a powerful stream galloping out of the plateau forest, dancing through rocky rapids..." "Whispering into my ear, her glittery semblance pervading the space around me."
A saga crafted by an artist. A saga whose continuation I anxiously await.

No comments: